The Newman Selective Gifted Education Program
De La Salle College Revesby Heights is part of the Sydney Catholic Schools' Newman Selective Gifted Education Program.
Being a Newman Selective school provides high quality professional learning for our staff and an authentically rigorous program for our gifted learners within a nurturing Catholic environment, enhancing the whole-person. We are committed to providing a wide range of opportunities that cater for a variety of gifted learners, while at the same time supporting the social and emotional needs of all students.
We adhere to the nationally accepted definition of giftedness and talent, as developed by Professor Francoys Gagné's model. You can view this model by clicking on the link below.
The potential to perform at a level significantly beyond what might be expected from one’s age peers in any area of human ability.
An achievement at a level significantly beyond what might be expected from age-peers in fields such as arts, technology, academic pursuits, athletics, sports and social action. Therefore, a student can be gifted without being talented, as they have not cultivated their gifts to develop them into a talent.
At De La Salle College Revesby, we are committed to providing relevant and innovative learning experiences for all our students to engage in the development of their talents, across all domains.
Key Program Elements:
- The program is facilitated by staff who have dedicated training in the field of gifted education
- Academics and psychologists specialising in gifted education contribute to the development and delivery of the program
- Students are assessed across a range of gifted domains in order to access the program and their progress comprehensively evaluated
- Students participate in various programs to extend and enrich their learning
- A Newman Selective Symposium is held annually to celebrate student achievement
- To sustain a high quality educational program, the College undergoes a comprehensive accreditation process every four years